Damascus City Council will meet Thursday at 7:00 PM via Zoom to plan the budget and tax levy for the new fiscal year beginning July 1, 2020.
We are eager to add another 2 or 3 people to the Budget Committee at this meeting. This entails meeting just one time in the next couple of weeks to finalize the budget and tax rate that the budget officer and city council will be recommending. Please consider being part of this committee.
We continue to need donations to finish this fiscal year with paid up insurance with CIS.
To join the Zoom meeting, click on the link below just prior to 7:00 PM on Thursday, May 21, 2020. Unless recognized by the Mayor to speak, please remain muted. Thank you.
Damascus City Council “Special” Meeting
(per Damascus Council Rules 2.2.2)
May 21, 2020; 7:00 PM
Zoom Video Conference for City Council
I. Call to Order: Roll Call of Those Present
II. Pledge of Allegiance
III. Additions or Changes to the Agenda
IV. Consent Agenda (to approve minutes of 5-7-20 by motion)
V. Council Business
1. Report on financial state of the City: balance at Banner Bank: $ 670; status of CIS insurance (paid thru most of April). Two months left.
2. Report on legal actions
a. Briefs before the State Supreme Court re. SB 226 (Oregon Law 545): both sides agreed not to have oral arguments. The City now awaits a decision.
b. Attorney fees for all legal briefs approaching $160 k.
3. Other challenges: Response of County Tax Assessor regarding our notification of boundary change. State revenue sharing: the Dept of Administrative Services has Damascus on its list of approved cities (as of 5-19-20).
4. Report on fund-raising appeal for donations: in 2019, $5120 (corrected from $5220 of 1-30-20); in 2020: $1450 plus other donations.
5. Discussion of how to improve communications. Ideas?
a. New additions/postings to City website (www.damascusoregon.city): video
b. History of recent legal challenges document on web site.
6. Comprehensive planning by Happy Valley: on hold pending the Supreme Court decision
7. Meeting times for City Council (third Thursday of month); interrupted by pandemic
8. Appointment to planning commission: Debra Watt (members: Doug Walker; Kerry Montgomery; Steve Hoiland); everything on hold due to pandemic
9. Appointment of new Budget Committee members to fill three vacancies (?)
10. Preparation of budget and tax levy for fiscal year (7-1-20 to 6-30-21): Council President Bill Wehr to hand off to Budget Committee; John Fromwiller (chair; 3); Jay Robinson (3); Joe Kelly (2); Kerry Montgomery (2)?
VI. Councilor Comments