Damascus City Council will have a Council meeting, Thurs, 7 pm, May 7, 2020, via Zoom (as authorized by the Governor for public meetings). Attached is the agenda. Anyone wishing to join the meeting as a guest should prior to the meeting click on this link: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/6424160559?pwd=dm43U1J4TDlFa01uVFlQaDRQN3QyZz09
(per Damascus Council Rules 2.2.2)
May 7, 2020 – 7:00 pm
Zoom Video Conference for City Council
I. Call to Order: Roll Call of Those Present
II. Pledge of Allegiance
III. Additions or Changes to the Agenda
IV. Consent Agenda (to approve minutes of 2-20-20 by motion)
V. Council Business
1. Report on financial state of the City: balance at Banner Bank: $ 470; status of CIS insurance (funds to cover thru April, short $52). Two mons left.
2. Report on legal actions
a. Briefs before the State Supreme Court re. SB 226 (Oregon Law 545): Review: facts required by Special Master submitted Dec 9, 2019 by City Atty; submission of new brief on Jan 29; City motion to supplement brief of 1-29-20 with emails, submitted on 1-29-20; Supreme Ct order granting motion to supplement, 2-13-20; State response, 3-12-20; reply by City 3-26-20; both sides agreed not to have oral arguments. Decision??
b. Atty fees for all legal briefs approaching $160 k.
3. Other challenges: Response of Co Tax Assessor re. our notification of boundary change; St revenue sharing?
4. Report on fund-raising appeal for donations: in 2019, $5120 (corrected from $5220 of 1-30-20); in 2020: $1450
5. Discussion of how to improve communications. Ideas?
a. New additions/postings to City website (www.damascusoregon.city): video
b. History of recent legal challenges doc on web site
6. Comprehensive planning by Happy Valley: on hold pending the Supreme Ct decision
7. Status of old fire station as a City Council mtg place: available but not during pandemic
8. Miscellaneous: Day in Damascus, July 25, cancelled
9. Meeting times for City Council (third Thurs of month); interrupted by pandemic.
10. Appointment of planning commission: (members: Doug Walker; Kerry Montgomery; Debra Watt; Steve Hoiland); everything on hold due to pandemic
11. Preparation for budget for fiscal year (7-1-20 to 6-30-21): instructions to Budget Comm; Com: John Fromwiller (chair; 3); Jay Robinson (3); Joe Kelly (2); Kerry Montgomery (2); [off: Jeanne Robinson (3); Monique Johnsen (1); Brian Pugh (1)]
12. Appointment of new Budget Com members to fill 3 vacancies:
VI. Councilor Comments